A comparison of methods
9/8/10 22:30Certain people continue to believe that if they can show that the other side has done something, than that excuses them for doing the same thing-- for whatever reason. Does it? No. I don't think it does. Here is the most recent example:
So example 1: Media Matters:
Originally posted a video clip of Beck'scronies sidekicks blaming the latest Manchester shooting on Olberman.
The original title "Beck sidekicks Gray and Burguiere: Keith Olberman and media responsible for Manchester shooting." This title is followed a clip of them talking. The clip cuts before they continue on to state that they were trying to make a comparison, so it would seem that they are stating this earnestly.
Here is the public correction:
http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201008060020
*CORRECTION: The original headline on this clip did not make clear that Beck's co-hosts were being satirical when they linked MSNBC host Keith Olbermann to the Manchester shooting. The original clip also did not include their subsequent statements that Olbermann was not responsible for the shooting. Media Matters regrets the error.
Now, the right wing has been jumping all over this egregious cutting of a clip. It's good to know that these people have come to reality and realized that they shouldn't be defending editing clips to say other than they mean at least right? Maybe one of them will admit they were wrong about that now? Perhaps they will condemn any future or past attempts to purposely edit video to try to make people believe something other than the truth? I'm sure now that they have come to reason they will condemn these too. Right?
But seriously. Do you think that the Media Matters edit was on purpose? Every right-wing pundit seems to be sure of it. Do you think their correction was sufficient? Do you think this equates on any level with Mr. Breitbart's smear video? And maybe some people might think this, do you think this somehow excuses right-wing attempts to persuade people to believe things that are not true using video?
As to my opinion: If there ends up being evidence that it was on purpose in order to make these people look bad, whomever is responsible probably better resign, because that's the opposite of integrity. I doubt it was on purpose though because it would be so easy to look up and see it's not true. I think someone did something really sloppy. I don't know too much about Media Matters though-- I don't know how they get their articles or postings, is it like an ireport thing? Or did some editor really screw the pooch? I don't know.
---
And as a second small issue: the actual tape posted:
Does Beck's fearmongering and the tea partiers resorting to believing the government is going to take their guns and resort to communism equate to Olberman claiming that people are being racist and a black guy shooting a bunch of people for racism equate? Does someone doing things Olberman never said equate to some people believing something Beck said? what is this i dont even Nevermind, don't discuss that one.
So example 1: Media Matters:
Originally posted a video clip of Beck's
The original title "Beck sidekicks Gray and Burguiere: Keith Olberman and media responsible for Manchester shooting." This title is followed a clip of them talking. The clip cuts before they continue on to state that they were trying to make a comparison, so it would seem that they are stating this earnestly.
Here is the public correction:
http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201008060020
*CORRECTION: The original headline on this clip did not make clear that Beck's co-hosts were being satirical when they linked MSNBC host Keith Olbermann to the Manchester shooting. The original clip also did not include their subsequent statements that Olbermann was not responsible for the shooting. Media Matters regrets the error.
Now, the right wing has been jumping all over this egregious cutting of a clip. It's good to know that these people have come to reality and realized that they shouldn't be defending editing clips to say other than they mean at least right? Maybe one of them will admit they were wrong about that now? Perhaps they will condemn any future or past attempts to purposely edit video to try to make people believe something other than the truth? I'm sure now that they have come to reason they will condemn these too. Right?
But seriously. Do you think that the Media Matters edit was on purpose? Every right-wing pundit seems to be sure of it. Do you think their correction was sufficient? Do you think this equates on any level with Mr. Breitbart's smear video? And maybe some people might think this, do you think this somehow excuses right-wing attempts to persuade people to believe things that are not true using video?
As to my opinion: If there ends up being evidence that it was on purpose in order to make these people look bad, whomever is responsible probably better resign, because that's the opposite of integrity. I doubt it was on purpose though because it would be so easy to look up and see it's not true. I think someone did something really sloppy. I don't know too much about Media Matters though-- I don't know how they get their articles or postings, is it like an ireport thing? Or did some editor really screw the pooch? I don't know.
---
And as a second small issue: the actual tape posted:
Does Beck's fearmongering and the tea partiers resorting to believing the government is going to take their guns and resort to communism equate to Olberman claiming that people are being racist and a black guy shooting a bunch of people for racism equate? Does someone doing things Olberman never said equate to some people believing something Beck said? what is this i dont even Nevermind, don't discuss that one.
(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 05:38 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 09:24 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 05:55 (UTC)Of course, considering the long history of right-wing pundits presenting 20-second clips of something said, missing the 5-minute explanation leading up to it... I think the editing of tapes to spin opinion is quite deliberate and purposefull.
Media matters probably did what they did on purpose. Of course, it's hypocritical in the extreme for the pundits who edit tapes for a living to jump up and down over this and ignore their own history of doing this -- and when I say pundits, I am referring to right-wing pundits since the number of occurrences where this is seen seems to be greater.
There is a reason Faux News has the reputation it has.
(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 06:35 (UTC)Media matters probably did what they did on purpose.
You think so? I never really thought of them as wanting to make their point "by any means" -- they like being right. I don't think they did this on purpose based on the organizational track record and the fact that in their line of work, imperfect dosen't fly.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 06:43 (UTC)Can anyone show that Media Matters has a similar pattern of behavior? (That's a real question, not just a rhetorical device.)
Lastly, and this is the difference that seals it: Media matters has retracted and apologized. Breitbart has not.
An apology is a powerful thing. I'm still waiting.
(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 07:02 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 07:08 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 07:21 (UTC)I have nothing to add. :(
(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 13:14 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 08:29 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 09:02 (UTC)Hanlon's Razor:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
It would just be entirely too obvious of an edit.
(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 08:43 (UTC)* - I DON'T think that Fox manipulates clips, but that seems to be the opinion of the sheep who pay attention to anything MMFA says.
(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 11:05 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 14:42 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 18:22 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 21:32 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 11:30 (UTC)Yes. It's what they do.
Do you think their correction was sufficient?
Not really, no.
Do you think this equates on any level with Mr. Breitbart's smear video?
It's worse.
do you think this somehow excuses right-wing attempts to persuade people to believe things that are not true using video?
All it does is further discredit Media Matters, not that it's hard to do.
don't know too much about Media Matters though-- I don't know how they get their articles or postings, is it like an ireport thing? Or did some editor really screw the pooch? I don't know.
It's just a bunch of folks who are paid to read, watch, and listen to conservative media and then write about how they think they're wrong.
Does Beck's fearmongering and the tea partiers resorting to believing the government is going to take their guns and resort to communism equate to Olberman claiming that people are being racist and a black guy shooting a bunch of people for racism equate?
No, Olbermann's much worse.
(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 12:24 (UTC)It's worse.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 12:58 (UTC)I suppose it's comparable to what Breitbart did. But the "victims" of the Media Matters shenanigans are people who are national TV or radio announcers who have an excellent way to defend themselves. Breitbart's victim was somebody who hadn't been implicitly agreeing to have video clips of hers posted in a public forum and had no means of defending herself as evidence by her quickly losing her job. In that respect, what Breitbart did was worse, and I think it's an important difference.
(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 14:03 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 13:44 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 13:44 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 13:54 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 13:57 (UTC)(no subject)
From:Cavle News isn't going anywhere
From:Re: Cavle News isn't going anywhere
From:Re: Cavle News isn't going anywhere
From:Fun with numbers.
From:Re: Fun with numbers.
From:Re: Cavle News isn't going anywhere
From:(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 14:39 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 14:47 (UTC)- Karl Frisch of Media Matters.
I think that this shows that Media Matters is openly hostile to Conservatives. Sure these two quotes weren't from Rush but he is a racist so it doesn't matter.
We know our sources are bias, lets not justify their bias by saying "aww shucks their just good old boys havin' fun!"
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 10/8/10 14:41 (UTC)I thought this story was dumb from the onset. Especially because I listen to Glenn Beck. He often says things like "and Media Matters is going to take this out of context..." (which is why I started going to that site).
Always use the jump the shark rule with any sort of site. If it seems unbelievable or over the top, be suspicious.
*purposely so. It's better to know you're being manipulated than to believe you're getting unbiased information. This is true in the business world as well.)
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 11/8/10 03:14 (UTC)