Because this forum has been entirely too peaceful in the last few days I feel like posing a loaded question...
Two days ago
faire_weather posted an entry titled Planning Ahead for Rape. It produced a predictable amount of outrage.
And yet, I must confess that I do not understand it.
As I have stated in prior entries I tend to view day-to-day life as a series of contingencies and/or threats to be planned for and countered. I "plan ahead" for car accidents by wearing a seat belt, just as I "plan ahead" for earthquakes by maintaning a small stockpile of food, water, and medical supplies.
Back in May I had the opportunity to see a sneak preview of Take Shelter. While I enjoyed it on a purely psychological/cinemagraphic level there was one thing that I found jarring. Specifically that a man who lives in tornado alley is arbitrarily labled as irrational for building a tornado shelter. To me this would seem to be a prudent course of action.
To me the suggestion that I should "plan ahead for rape" (or any other violent encounter) is no-more offensive than the suggestion that I should tie my shoes to avoid tripping over the laces.
The question I pose is this, what's so horrifying about planning ahead?
Or have I simply spent so-much time in ERs that paranioa has become normal?
Two days ago
And yet, I must confess that I do not understand it.
As I have stated in prior entries I tend to view day-to-day life as a series of contingencies and/or threats to be planned for and countered. I "plan ahead" for car accidents by wearing a seat belt, just as I "plan ahead" for earthquakes by maintaning a small stockpile of food, water, and medical supplies.
Back in May I had the opportunity to see a sneak preview of Take Shelter. While I enjoyed it on a purely psychological/cinemagraphic level there was one thing that I found jarring. Specifically that a man who lives in tornado alley is arbitrarily labled as irrational for building a tornado shelter. To me this would seem to be a prudent course of action.
To me the suggestion that I should "plan ahead for rape" (or any other violent encounter) is no-more offensive than the suggestion that I should tie my shoes to avoid tripping over the laces.
The question I pose is this, what's so horrifying about planning ahead?
Or have I simply spent so-much time in ERs that paranioa has become normal?
(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 04:19 (UTC)(no subject)
(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 04:34 (UTC)That's... kind of sad, to be in a constant state of worry like that.
The anger and objection comes less from a suggestion of preparedness and more from a weak attempt to devalue the availability of abortion services to women in such situations. It is suggested that such preparedness would neutralize that need.
(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 05:08 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 04:45 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 04:56 (UTC)and this:
"plan ahead for rape" (or any other violent encounter) is no-more offensive than the suggestion that I should tie my shoes to avoid tripping over the laces.
is a highly offensive, dismissive and upsetting statement.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 04:57 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 04:59 (UTC)If this was just a case of a congressman from Kansas telling women that they should take precautions against rape, I doubt there would be much outrage. I'm sure that those women who until now were clueless that they needed to make concessions in their lives to avoid sexual assault would thank the congressman for his valuable insights.
Women already pay a price in their daily life due to the actions of a few men. Trying to make them pay an additional and very visible price is moving things in the wrong way. Having a man explain the necessity to take such precautions is bound to come across as condescending... best not to go there.
(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 18:48 (UTC)Based on some of the comments both here and in the orginal thread, there seems to be a signifigant subset of the population that views preperation with contempt and/or outwright horror which I am at a loss to explain.
Both sides are concerned with the welfare of women
Date: 1/7/11 05:39 (UTC)Or let me paraphrase: There are evil parts of society, we will try to stop them, blah blah blah but if you happen to be raped, we will ensure that no government funding exists for an abortion because we don't want you to have that choice. Also, hope you can pay for the child because we've also gutted social services. Have a delightful unexpected forced pregnancy!
Re: Both sides are concerned with the welfare of women
From:Re: Both sides are concerned with the welfare of women
From:Re: Both sides are concerned with the welfare of women
From:Re: Both sides are concerned with the welfare of women
From:Re: Both sides are concerned with the welfare of women
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 05:47 (UTC)The 'horror' is Americans having a sense of entitlement they believe protects them from thinking of such things.
They feel the world should conform to a pre-conceived notion which says they should have the option of choosing to do whatever they want, whenever they want and not have to worry about things like rape, economic troubles, and the deficit..
America is entitled not to think about details that only 'uncool' and 'loserish' foreign countries need concern themselves with. We're above such petty and 3rd country'ish things!
(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 05:54 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:You want an effective rape deterrent?
Date: 1/7/11 06:02 (UTC)'Nuff said.
(no subject)
From:Re: You want an effective rape deterrent?
From:(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 06:14 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:Mary Tyler Moore
Date: 1/7/11 06:32 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 09:33 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 10:04 (UTC)In other words, the authorities will not be there to save you. One has to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for yourself. Do whatever preparations necessary. Carry mace, learn Kung-Fu, travel in groups, etc. Being overprepared and never require need to use is not a bad thing.
Or take no responsibility, blame shift, state the obvious that "MEN shouldn't rape!" and murder is wrong, liars shouldn't lie and more obvious rules of life.
(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 10:44 (UTC)I wish to tread gently as you seem sincere and are already getting an earful.
Let me stipulate a point: all people could probably benefit from some level of threat awareness and self defense training, even if just on the passive level.
But the diminishing return on that is fairly rapid. What if a woman DOES everything that is commonly prescribed to "reduce" the chance of her being raped? Apart from the fact that she might very well be raped anyway since most rape is not stranger rape, a rapist is not going to not rape -- at best, he doesn't rape her.
And to be frank, a lot of what people call taking "sensible precautions" sounds a lot like "living terrified". It comes at the expense of being able to live life, enjoy oneself and go about work and fun under the very reasonable expectation that other people are NOT rapists. Very quickly into the process a lot of well-meaning "advisors" for women seem to be advising them to live in a virtual prison.
That ain't right. (http://talk-politics.livejournal.com/1037401.html?thread=82239833#t82239833)
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 11:46 (UTC)Over two thirds of all rapes occur in someone's home. 30.9% occur in the perpetrators' homes, 26.6% in the victims' homes and 10.1% in homes shared by the victim and perpetrator. 7.2% occur at parties, 7.2% in vehicles, 3.6% outdoors and 2.2% in bars. - wikipedia
How does a twelve year old plan ahead for rape by a step-father? By calling child services before the fact?
How does an adult woman plan ahead for rape by a trusted boyfriend? By not trusting any man?
If I stated, "Every time you go anywhere, you should prepare for getting beaten with a baseball bat," how would you prepare for it? How would you feel if, having balanced your need to socialize with your protection from blunt objects, you still get beaten and the response from someone was, "Well you should have been more prepared?"
Part 1 of 3.
Date: 1/7/11 12:54 (UTC)And, this mentality was the status quo, throughout the country, until the rape reform movement that occurred in the 1970s. To this day, some states still have laws, on the books, that stipulate that rape cannot occur within a marital relationship. 21 Okl.St.Ann. § 1111.
Re: Part 2 of 3.
Date: 1/7/11 12:54 (UTC)State in the Interest of M.T.S., (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=5823109833564671391&q=609+A.2d+1266&hl=en&as_sdt=2,44) 609 A.2d 1266, 1270-74 (1992). (I encourage everyone to read the entire opinion. It provides a very interesting and enlightening history of the criminalization and prosecution of rape in this country.)
Re: Part 2 of 3.
From:Re: Part 2 of 3.
From:Re: Part 2 of 3.
From:Re: Part 3 of 3.
From:Re: Part 3 of 3.
From:Re: Part 3 of 3.
From:Re: Part 3 of 3.
From:(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 17:09 (UTC)Have you been practicing Jedi-fu again??
(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 19:05 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 17:59 (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 1/7/11 19:24 (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 2/7/11 03:16 (UTC)You may plan ahead for car accidents with insurance because they are things that do happen sometimes (and auto insurance is required now). Generally, car accidents are not caused by one person deciding to assault another person with their car; they are unintentional.
Rape isn't an accident, and feeding women (and men) the idea that we should NEED to prepare for it only makes the act more acceptable and tolerable. It isn't. It desensitizes us.
That doesn't mean I don't lock my doors; it just means I shouldn't have to put in a Rape-aXe (http://articles.cnn.com/2010-06-20/world/south.africa.female.condom_1_female-condoms-ehlers-south-africa?_s=PM:WORLD) when I leave the house.
(no subject)
Date: 2/7/11 23:24 (UTC)If a situation looks/feels shady it probably is.
If you ever have to enforce your boundaries with someone over the age of six, you should not associate with that person.
If you're going to go drinking/clubbing bring freinds.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
Date: 3/7/11 17:21 (UTC)beyond human control
Date: 3/7/11 19:59 (UTC)Tell me, do you really think people can or should be controlled?
I would say no. As far as I am concerned the attitudes and actions of others are beyond my control. In that sense you are as immutable to me as the weather.
Re: beyond human control
From:Re: beyond human control
From: